Hot Mix Fridays (August 8th, 2014) - A Nice Slice of The 90s....Vol Se7en


I suppose for starters, we should discuss the sneaker that graces the cover of this week’s tape. I was well into the layout for the artwork before I realized it was the seventh in the 90s series, and it was a little too late to turn back and incorporate anything from the film Se7en, aside from writing out “seven” that way.

I used to own that sneaker. I bought them in the summer of 1996 from the JC Penny in Freeport, IL, the town I grew up in. They were drastically reduced in price, from what I can recall, because basketball sneakers were, and always will be, incredibly expensive.

They were apparently called the Shaqnosis, and were designed in part by Shaquille O’Neal, who in 1996, was still riding high on his marquee name baller status. I stop short of saying they are hideous, but they certainly have an acquired appeal to them. They don’t go well with many ensembles, but the fact that I had such incredible shoes when I was 13 must inform you how fashion forward I have always been.

I do recall, also, that shortly after getting them (maybe within a month or so) I stepped in some puppy shit. And despite my best efforts to clean them out, and use puppy shit remover or whatever on the bottom of them, they always smelled weird.

Oh well.

But enough about sneakers. This week’s tape is less than an hour, and 10 minutes of it is dedicated to this Guns N Roses song. In crafting the songs for volume seven, I was just trying to find things that worked well together and were slightly diverse, and not worry so much about packing in, like, 79 minutes of music just for the sake of doing that.

Also, these are going to be winding down here within the next few weeks, so I want to save whatever other 90s songs I can think of for the last installment.

Please enjoy? Enjoy!

A Nice Slice of The 90s...Vol Se7en

1. Estranged by Guns N Roses
2. Got You Where I Want You by The Flys
3. Pepper by The Butthole Surfers
4. Gin 'n Juice by Snoop Doggy Dogg
5. Steal My Sunshine by LEN
6. He Got Game by Public Enemy featuring Stephen Stills
7. Hero of The Day by Metallica
8. Breakfast at Tiffany's by Deep Blue Something
9. The Humpty Dance by Digital Underground
10. 6 Underground by Sneaker Pimps
11. I Wish by Skee Lo
12. Out of Tears by The Rolling Stones
13. If I Could Turn Back The Hands of Time by R. Kelly

Comments