Mix Tape Fridays: A Nice Slice of The 90's Pie, Volume 1


Full disclosure- I was laid off from my day job at the beginning of May. You'd think that with all this sudden free time, I would be writing more pieces for this humble blog. May was not my least prolific month, but it was also not my most prolific thus far in 2014. Rather than just sifting through albums and shitting out review after review, I've spent a bulk of my time...you know...trying to find a new job.

One idea that came to me when I was jogging the other day (I exercise now too!) was to do more mixtapes for this blog. Since I have this surplus of time, the goal to do a Mixtape Friday every week seems like something attainable, so we'll see if I can keep it up, and continue to have ideas for said mixtapes.

Using my rudimentary DJ skills that nearly anyone can have with a laptop, and the somewhat novice DJ skills that I have from working in radio for, like, 5 years, these should be getting better over time, and possibly more elaborate. This first one was something I just cobbled together last night, so it's pretty straightforward.

Nostalgia is at an all time high right now- specifically nostalgia for the 1990's. Halcyon days, really. While I am "originally from" the 80's, I came of age in the 90's, and I have a very strong, unabashed love of the music from the era. Some of it I was too stupid to appreciate at the time, but have since grown to love it as an adult. Some of it I have loved for over 20 years. 

Obviously the 90's has more to offer than just these 16 songs, so there will be more of these in the future. I tried to keep this one primarily focused on alternative rock and hip-hop/r&b from the time, and also keep it under 80 minutes incase you wanna burn this to a CD or whatever. 


1. What They Do by The Roots
2. Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth With Money in My Hand by Primitive Radio Gods
3. Regulate by Warren G featuring Nate Dogg
4. Closer by Nine Inch Nails
5. Black Balloon by The Goo Goo Dolls
6. Nice and Slow by Usher
7. Sleep to Dream by Fiona Apple
8. Flava in Ya Ear by Craig Mack
9. Creep by TLC
10. Something's Always Wrong by Toad The Wet Sprocket
11. Anytime by Brian McKnight
12. Sweet Surrender by Sarah McLachlan
13. Nuthin' But A G Thang by Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg
14. Lakini's Juice by Live
15. Big Empty by Stone Temple Pilots
16. When Can I See You by Babyface

Comments