Album Review: Porcupine- I See Sound EP


I had came to this realization a few times last year with some cassette releases from Kevin Greenspon’s Bridgetown Records imprint, and after listening to the La Crosse, WI-based band Porcupine’s new EP, I See Sound, I’ve arrived at the same conclusion—it’s refreshing that music like this is being made in 2014.

I See Sound is so earnest in its homage and love of 1990’s ramshackle-sounding alternative rock, and it’s this fact that makes it near impossible to not like. Clocking in at an incredibly brief 19 minutes, the EP moves very quickly. It’s a catchy and fast paced set of songs, and most importantly, it’s actually pretty fun to listen to.

Full disclosure: the bassist for Porcupine hit me up many months ago via Facebook, and asked if I would be interested in taking a listen to this EP. And as I just mentioned pretty recently in another review of something that was somewhat solicited to me, it’s weird (and humbling) that people want me to write up their stuff, but also, it makes me nervous because what if it sucks?

Thankfully, I See Sound doesn’t suck.

Opening with a double shot of fuzzy power pop glory, “So Serious” and “I’m Next to You” also serve as the strongest tracks of the set, and within the second half of the EP, you hear a little of the “math rock” tag in the herky jerky rhythm on “The Answer.” In the press materials that accompany the release, the band makes mention of a Queens of The Stone Age vibe on some songs. And yes, in lead singer Casey Virock’s deadpan delivery on the verses on “I’m Next to You,” I can hear that, but what I hear more of is a less theatrical and dramatic, and slightly more rough around the edges Blinker The Star. Which is great. Because I love that band.

With production handled in a way that allows the band’s unhinged, raw style of playing to show through (specifically in the way the drums sound), I See Sound is a focused, high-energy effort, proving that real, guitar-driven “alt rock” bands are still out there. Their bio line says “There are approximately seven million indie bands operating on planet Earth as of yesterday…we are one of them.” And sure, that may be true, but they are certainly one of the better ones.

I See Sound is out today via Riot House Records.

Comments