The Reason That She Loved Him Was The Reason I Loved Him Too: on "Hero" by David Crosby and Phil Collins, and on other things.




Perhaps you know him as a loveable fuck up who had done time for various narcotics possessions, as well as a love of having a .45 caliber pistol nearby—but more than likely, you know David Crosby as the “Crosby” in Crosby, Stills, Nash, and sometimes Young. But did you know that Crosby has three solo albums under his belt?

The final of those albums, Thousand Roads, is turning 20 this year—joining one of many things I remember from 1993, that I look back on now, and feel really, really old.

I've never listened to Thousand Roads. I've never listened to any David Crosby solo album, for that matter. But the reason why I am even bringing this up is because of the single released from that album—“Hero.”

(the finest in thermal vision photography)

I'd go so far as to say that “Hero” is an obscure song. Like you aren’t going to remember it by name alone. When attempting to explain this song to my wife last year, once she heard the refrain of the song, she thought it sounded familiar, but it apparently isn’t the kind of song that stuck with her over time.

I had “Hero” on cassette single. I think one of the reasons I really liked this song, and why it’s a song I still think about 20 years later, is the appearance of Phil Collins. Like you can try to deny Phil Collins all you want and be a hater, drinking all of your Hateorade. But if you stop and think about it…Phil Collins is awesome. “In The Air Tonight”? That song is unfuckwithable. His work with Genesis. His solo output from the 1980’s. His dedication to his craft—after a spinal injury made it so he couldn't wrap his fingers around a drumstick, he DUCT TAPED THEM INTO HIS FUCKING HANDS so he could begin playing again.

But this isn't about Phil Collins.

“Hero” was co-written by Collins, though, and he provides his unmistakable vocals, as well as bringing along his drum kit. The Collins co-sign on this explains why, at times, it sounds oh so similar to “Do You Remember?,” a song from Collins’ album …But Seriously.

The video for “Hero” probably received a lot of airplay on VH-1. Because in the dark ages of 1993, channels like VH-1 and MTV played music videos throughout the day. In the video, aside from the delightful moments where Crosby and Collins are just straight broing it up, singing the song, the narrative primarily rests on Crosby playing a character in prison. His son and wife come to visit him while he’s in the pokey, and this footage is interspersed with what is meant to be old home movies of Crosby playing with this kid, and overall being a good father who isn't doing a bid.

(just a couple of good bros, singing their fucking hearts out.)

Things take a pretty real turn as the kid has to watch his dad get hauled off back to his cell once visiting hours are over, and later on, he struggles as he watches other kids having fun with their fathers. The video ends with the kid, floppy bowl cut and all, walking angrily down train tracks, throwing rocks to show his emotion.

A term I toss around a lot to describe a song that takes a toll on me emotionally is “devastating.” While “Hero” may come off as some lite rock from the early 90’s, to me, for reasons I can’t really fathom, is devastating.

It’s a simple song, following the verse/chorus/verse/bridge structure. It’s pretty dramatic—“The villain goes to jail, while the hero goes free. I wish it were that simple for me.” #realtalk right there.

But within that drama, there’s something real—like something legit and genuine. Maybe it’s about loss. Maybe it’s about fathers and sons. Maybe it’s about reflecting on a time you try not to think about. Maybe it’s about growing up quickly because you have to. Maybe it’s all of those things.

But maybe it isn’t any of those things. Maybe none of that is in the song, and I’m just looking for some deeper meaning. Maybe it’s just a bunch of clichéy, emotionally manipulative images and ideas thrown together in one four-minute pop song.

Assisting in the devastation is the combination of David Crosby’s and Phil Collins’ voices. While it’s technically Crosby’s song, it’s Collins that steals the show, especially on the refrain, coming in higher and slightly above Crosby’s voice. Their voices work well together, with Collins playing hype man, emphasizing select lines from the verses.

David Crosby and Phil Collins- "Hero"

It’s the frisson-inducing refrain that has stuck with me for all these years—“And the reason that she loved him was the reason I loved him too. And he never wondered what was right or wrong. He just knew.” It’s this line, tossed in amongst the others, that adds some ambiguity to the song. Is Crosby the hero addressed in the title? Is it somebody else? Who is the “she” that loved whoever we're talking about?

Throughout my life, there have probably been many songs I've liked and then forgotten about over time. I don’t know what it was last year that made me remember “Hero,” but I am thankful that I did, and that with the advent of the iTunes Marketplace, it’s very easy to procure a copy for a nominal fee. It’s the kind of song that hasn’t really aged well—it just sounds like 1993 all over the place—but it’s a song that doesn’t need to age well.  Quite possibly like the memories that this song may take you back to, it is the kind of song that should stay where it is, visited when it needs to be.

Comments

  1. Enjoyed reading your take. I have loved this song since I first heard it twenty-odd years ago. And I think for the same reasons as yours. I also love the harmony these two produce. It's just wonderful. It was fun finding your piece. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. only wanted to know how the hero kills the maiden, but really enjoyed this post all the same (and your description of yourself.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This song is amazing in that it uses simple chords over and over, yet is super appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this! For a long time I tried to find this song using that exact phrase in the search box and it took me a long time to find it. I also find it quite devastating and it makes me cry. Who is he and who is she? Love this song so much. Thanks also for repping Phil! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first this song as elevator music at my local supermarket in the early 2000. It harmonies were so reminiscent of Southern Cross, I thought it must have been CSN or CSNY. Yesterday I was listening to VH-1 Legends of Rock and heard a riff. I found "Hero" immediately when I searched the lyrics of David Crosby. I was ecstatic.

    The video for Hero was produced and directed by Sean Penn. It didn't receive much air play. Crosby discussed this briefly in PBS interview.

    I love lyrics and harmony. This song has both. I find the lyrics and the underlying theme reflective of my own life. I grew up reading Howard Pyles' "The Wonder Clock" - 24 tales of heroes and damsels in distress. When I hear,

    "And we wonder yes, we wonder
    How do you make sense of this
    When the hero kills the maiden
    With his kiss, with his kiss"

    I am reminded how in the very act of rescuing someone, we kill a relationship by skewing the normal roles of parents, friends and lovers. When we rescue someone we are close to, we may ruin the friendship, love, or parental relationship. I am also reminded of American's love of heroes, but how heroes often run counter to the concepts of teams.

    When I then go back to the earlier lyric,

    "vAnd the reason that she loved him
    Was the reason I loved him too
    And he never wondered what was right or wrong
    He just knew, he just knew"

    I think of my love of my father and other heroes in my life and the he and she could be me and my sister, me and my wife .... the lyric speaks of any shared hero... even myself when I have acted heroically.

    In the end, before I ever I saw the video, I considered this song profoundly sad. There is an underlying loneliness and isolation. The video re-enforces this with the imagery of Crosby returning to this cell and the wistful look in the child's eyes. Still, I can listen to the song over and over again because it touches my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for letting me know that this song haunts others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think "Hero" has a simple meaning. "The villain goes to jail, and the hero goes free.Wish it were that simple for me...", meaning He was involved in a heroic act, but had to do time because He did break a law in the process. One example would be He used a firearm that was outlawed to prevent a robbery. Using that I'm sure many of you can come up with other examples.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if this song is a reference to the good and evil that exists in every person in general, and in Crosby specifically. I think in that regard it is a reference to "hero" Crosby that was often over taken by "villain" Crosby; the Crosby was overcome by addiction and legal troubles. "The villain goes to jail, while the hero goes free. I wish it were that simple for me (were that simple for me)."

    Also, "shadow and shade mix together at dawn." I interpret this as saying he has good and evil inside of him but he has such a hard time distinguishing the two and letting the good out.

    I just think this is somehow a metaphor for his addiction issues and jail time.

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard this song not long after it came out, it struck a chord in me too. I ran out and bought it. Listened to it over and over. As to what it means, well, I thought of the song tonight, found the video and then googled for a meaning, which brought me here. So you aren't alone in being affected by it. It still creates these very raw emotions in me, I almost cry as I listen., so much so that It's hard to sing along.
    I didn't know Crosby's history, so finding this was helpful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dropbox link dead. Any chance of a re-up?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha. sorry bout that. i stopped using dropbox a long time ago so i think i killed all those links. here's an adrive file.

      https://www.adrive.com/public/BfzC8p/01%20Hero.mp3

      Delete
  11. Excellent song and a very interesting perspective you have on it. I too find father / son themes in this gem. And yes, Phil Collins is fucking awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The infectious melody....the mysterious storyline....the perfect vocals. ..the combination of Crosby and Collins. Simply....I just love this song.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome commentary about this song. My thoughts exactly. Thanks for that..and thanks Mr. Crosby!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A little background on this song, which is usually only written or spoken about briefly, which speaks to Phil Collins and his reputation as being the "nicest guy in the business". Phil also writes about it in his book.

    David Crosby was badly in need of a liver transplant at the end of the 80s. He also went on the run from the law, which was after him on major drug charges. Crosby had no money and was facing a death sentence in prison, so Phil stepped in and PAID FOR the transplant. 100% paid for by Mr. Collins. Crosby turned himself in, went to prison, and was in for a year. Similar to Neil Young's agreement to re-form CSNY if Crosby got clean, Phil agreed to help get his career back on track.

    Upon his release, Phil produced this album, along with the song, which is semi-autobiographical. The same with the video, and the kid? Crosby's son. All of this is why I absolutely love this tune. I wish more people were aware of the backstory.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, guys, for all your interesting comments on this song.

    I just wanted to add that, in my opinion, it's the son who sings the song, that's why it says "I wish it was that easier for me" (cos in his real life the hero, his father, goes to jail, and the villain goes free, probably his father paid for some other's crimes) and "the reason why she (his mother) loved him (his father) is the reason I (son) love him too".

    ReplyDelete
  16. o...I have spent the last 27 years mulling over these lyrics and reading other people's thoughts. Something happened in our lives about a year ago and suddenly this song made sense to me.

    This song is about from a son's perspective. It's about a son who's father was truly a very solid, honest, loving man. No one ever questioned this man because of his solid and unquestionable character. Then, something happened..probably the father had an affair and left the family....something completely out of character for the father. The line, "And the hero kills the maiden with his kiss" represents the the kiss of betrayal (think Judas Iscariot kissing Jesus before betraying him). The maiden is the boy's mom.

    "So we sort through the pieces, my friends and I. Searching for the darkness to find the breaks in the sky" represents the fact that the father's actions were far reaching, causing others to be surprised and disappointed. The father's betrayal wasn't just toward his mother, but to many others. It leaves the boy and his friends looking for happiness (and/or answers) in all of the surprise and disappointment.

    The song starts and ends with a reminder that life does NOT usually imitate the stories we as humans love to read...where the hero is and always remains the hero and the villain is always the villain and gets his payback. THAT would be too simple.

    Something like this happened to friends of ours, but it was the MOTHER who betrayed the family. We had very close friends whose mother was considered to be an upstanding citizen both in her community and church. Her husband had her on a pedestal. She had three children on whom she doted. She was a VERY black and white person...there was no grey.

    Last year, she left a note for her family telling them she was leaving and not coming back. No...there was no other man. She was just tired of being married and taking care of her family. She packed a few bags and moved 600 miles away where she still lives today.

    Her oldest daughter (then 19), told me her mom served the family a huge Christmas-type meal the NIGHT BEFORE SHE LEFT. The daughter admitted it had felt rather odd coming home from school to find a holiday spread for the family. The husband shared with my husband that his wife had been even more affectionate the night before she left and the day he left for work, she planted a huge kiss on his lips in the middle of getting the children off to school.

    Our friend's actions had a widespread effect on everyone. A year later and people in are little community are still talking about this and wondering how such a trustworthy and upstanding person could, in one fell swoop, devastate so many lives around her and go from "hero to zero."
    Her children and husband are still picking up the pieces and trying to make sense of it all. The mother who was once a hero in the eyes of her family is now the villain, and like the song says, the family is searching through the darkness to find the breaks in the sky.


    ReplyDelete
  17. Your post gave me pause. Thank you for taking the time. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  18. CBS's 60 Minutes interview of Crosby, Stills & Nash on Sunday caused me to to go looking for Hero and its meaning. The song really strikes a cord and took me back to 1993 which would have been the year before my life changed with my dad's stroke in 1994. So this song brings me to remembering him as I knew him to be - strong and invincible; the hero in my life. As you said, "it is the kind of song that should stay where it is, visited when it needs to be."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment