The Bearded Life: "What We Talk About When We Talk About Fear"


Well, it would appear that my latest piece of "observational humor" for the Southern MN Scene magazine has hit the world wide internets. The issue itself is supposed to be spooky, or something, since Halloween is in October. But rather than writing about ghosts, or whatever, I chose to write about a different kind of fear.


Also, since we're talking about the magazine here, and my other various endeavors, this seems like a fine time to get into "my day job."

I don't open up a ton personally on this site, which is maybe defeating the point of having a blog. This isn't like a Xanga or a Live Journal where i discuss my feelings and post what mood I am in. I write about music, and if there is a topic that requires me to get a little more real, or whatever, I do it, but I have used it sparingly. And aside from telling people that I do this site, I don't really talk about my personal life around here.

But, with that being said, as I had mentioned in a few posts from over the summer, I had been laid off from my day job, back in May. So I spent the entire summer in various libraries and coffee shops, looking for a new job, and also writing for the site. You'd think I would have been much more prolific around here with so much time on my hands. But however, I was not. 

At the end of July, I went back to work part time, at a bookstore, which was great, because I like working in bookstores. And at the end of August, I was offered a part time job as a writer for the newspaper in town-- coincidentally, they also publish the Scene magazine. A week after I started there, a girl put in notice to want to go half-time, rather than full time, and so I was promoted. It was a weird series of events, but it meant I had to stop working at the bookstore every day.

Basically what I'm getting at is that I'm back to work full time now, writing all day. In the newsroom they kind of frown upon people listening to music on their headphones at their desk, even though, like, everyone does it anyway. So the usual way I sample music to review for this blog is kind of not really an option anymore. Even though I am writing for a living, and have to find different ways to become familiar with a record for a review, my goal is to still try to maintain this site. Although as you can see from how often I have posted recently, September was not my most prolific month.

However, if you are interested in reading the stuff I am writing for the paper, please feel free to check out the Northfield News site. Most recently I wrote a thing about a professor who wrote a book about the band Cloud Cult. So that was interesting to learn about. But sometimes I write about city council meetings, or other things that aren't related to entertainment. 

Anyway, if anyone is actually reading this, thanks for your patience, and I hope that you stick around.

Comments